A selection of free pop-up activities and special theme nights will add to the magic of Coquitlam’s Lights at Lafarge Winter Lights Display.
This year’s display includes hundreds of thousands of lights, and many of the features have been hand-crafted by community members as well as city staff, often using recycled materials such as milk jugs and pop bottles.
Activities are run by Coquitlam’s Park Spark team – including community volunteers – who will be stationed at the Welcome Tent near Town Centre Park Plaza from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays to Sundays.
All activities take place rain or shine. Dates and times will be publicized in advance at www.coquitlam.ca/parkspark and through the City’s social media channels.
Mark your calendar for these upcoming highlights:
- Light-making workshops: Build a light feature that will be added to the display. The first workshop takes place this Sunday, Nov. 26 at the Welcome Tent.
- Jingle Bell Night: This year’s Jingle Bells Night on Friday, Dec. 22, aims to break our previous record of 500 singing voices. Join us at the lake for an evening of carols and lights. Choirs will be stationed around the 1.2-km trail from 7 – 8 p.m. At 7:30 p.m., stop where you are and join in a high-spirited community sing-a-long of Jingle Bells. Bells and song sheets will be handed out while quantities last.
- Special theme nights: Watch the schedule for upcoming events hosted by community groups, local businesses and Winter Lights Display corporate partners. Coming up – to list a few – you’ll find Douglas College on site Friday, Dec. 1, hosting carolling and a light-making workshop, HSBC on site Saturday, Dec. 9 with a photo booth and hat parade (wear a creative or holiday hat). Looking ahead, Dogtopia hosts on Saturday, Dec. 16 with some furry fun for our four-legged friends.
- Scavenger hunts: Pick up your scavenger hunt cards at the Welcome Tent and have some fun as you walk around the lake answering questions. New cards will be available each week.
- Search for Sparky: Join us on Saturday, Dec. 2 as Park Spark mascot, Sparky, leads a parade around the lake. Glow sticks and candy canes will be handed out while quantities last.
About Lights at Lafarge Winter Lights Display
The much-loved lights display features hundreds of thousands of lights wrapping their way around the 1.2 km lakeside trail at Lafarge Lake in Coquitlam’s Town Centre Park. It’s a free event featuring multiple themed zones, with many new additions and surprises in store for this year’s big reveal.
The lights will be switched on for the first time at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 25 and will remain on until Jan. 21, 2018. They will turn on each night at dusk and power off at 11 p.m., with the exception of Dec. 31, when they will stay on until after midnight.
New this year, a concession stand offering drinks and snacks will be located next to Town Centre Park Plaza Wednesdays to Sundays, 4:30 – 9 p.m.
The Winter Lights Display is easily accessed from Lafarge Lake-Douglas SkyTrain station, also with free parking available throughout Town Centre Park off Trevor Wingrove Way. For more event info, including a parking map, visit www.coquitlam.ca/parkspark.
About Coquitlam’s Park Spark Program
Park Spark is a program connecting community members, schools, organizations and businesses looking for opportunities to enhance Coquitlam’s parks through a variety of activities and experiences. Learn more at www.coquitlam.ca/parkspark
Thank You to Our Corporate Partners
Financial support for Lights at Lafarge is provided by major partners HSBC and CIK Telecom as well as supporting partner Port of Vancouver. Media partners include Miss604.com, Originelle Designs Photography, Wildwood Creative and Tri-City News.