Beginning July 1, 2014, the City of Coquitlam will be moving to an automated waste collection system similar to the systems used in New Westminster and Burnaby. The new waste collection plan will result in a 20% savings to the garbage utility rate for residents.
As of July 1st here’s what Coquitlam residents can expect:
- Bi-weekly garbage pick up (yes, that is correct – garbage picked up once every two weeks!)
- Weekly Green Can pick up
- The City of Coquitlam will be providing all single-family homes with a new garbage cart and a wildlife-resistant Green Can cart. The cost for these standard carts has been incorporated into the annual garbage utility fee.
- Residential recycling, including single- and multi-family, will be managed by Multi-Material BC (MMBC) and financed by businesses that produce the items to be recycled. Visit www.multimaterialbc.ca for more information.
The City of Coquitlam will be sharing more detailed information over the coming months regarding the new service, the new carts, and how to use them.
To stay apprised of the latest details and information over the coming months, Coquitlam residents are encouraged to:
- Sign up for Curbside Collection Schedule & Reminders to get the latest information to your smartphone or email. Visit www.coquitlam.ca/curbsidecollection to sign up, or search “Coquitlam Curbside Collection” – a free download in your iPhone or Android app store.
- As an aside, I signed up for the email alert and I wasn’t paying attention and now I get an email the day before garbage day. That’s about as useful to me as an email alert telling me garbage was picked up yesterday. Word of advice – check that you get the alert the morning of the garbage pick up.
- Like the City’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/cityofcoquitlam) or follow the City on Twitter (@CityofCoquitlam).
- Watch for information coming to homes, in local papers, and in the community.
- Information and Frequently Asked Questions will also be posted to www.coquitlam.ca/curbsidecollection.