A couple of weeks ago I had a very cool collaboration with Minute Rice and they helped me run a giveaway of some Minute Rice. During that collaboration I received a few recipes from Chef John Higgins on how to use Minute Rice and this wheat-free rice crust pizza is one of those recipes.
This weekend I was in the Eating in the Burbs test kitchen and we tried Rice Crust Pizza. And I have to say, it was a success; a relatively easy to make pizza with little mess. That’s a success to me. So here it is:
- 2 cups (500 ml) Minute Rice® Instant Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each dried basil and oregano leaves (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fine cornmeal (optional)
- 1 cup (250 ml) pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) each chopped pepperoni, sweet green pepper and mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Prepare rice according to package directions. Season with salt; let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the eggs, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, and herbs (if using – I strongly suggest adding some herbs to the rice crust to add another flavour sensation).
- Spray a 12-inch (30 cm) pizza pan with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with cornmeal (if using).
- Firmly and evenly press the rice mixture into the prepared pan.
- Cook the crust on the lowest rack in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; spread evenly with the pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese over the sauce. Scatter the pepperoni, green pepper and mushrooms evenly over top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bottom is golden and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges.
- Substitute the pizza toppings in this recipe for any of your own favourites.
- Reduce fat content by using low fat Mozzarella cheese