Even though I thought the much-anticipated Lights at Lafarge Winter Lights Display was set to return to Coquitlam’s Town Centre Park today, it is in fact scheduled for Saturday, November 25th. And it is going to be bigger and brighter than ever before.
It will be VERY much more impressive than what they have set up as of this evening.
- First, it is the largest free winter lights display in the Lower Mainland, with hundreds of thousands of twinkling lights illuminating the lake and forest in a spectacular natural setting.
- Many of the lights have been made by Coquitlam community members as well as staff, often using recycled materials. For example, the tulip lights were hand-crafted out of pop bottles and lotus blossoms (new this year) out of milk jugs. Enhance your winter light experience by taking part in light-making workshops organized by Coquitlam’s Park Spark team. These will take place at the Welcome Tent in front of Town Centre Park Plaza. Watch for schedule information at www.coquitlam.ca/parkspark.
- This year’s Jingle Bells Night on Friday, Dec. 22, aims to break our previous record of 500 singing voices. Join us at the lake for an evening of carols and lights. Choirs will be stationed around the 1.2-km trail from 7 – 8 p.m.At 7:30 p.m., stop where you are and join in a high-spirited community sing-a-long of Jingle Bells.
- In need of a snack or hot drink to fuel your walk? New this year: A concession stand will be stationed near the trail in front of Town Centre Park Plaza from Wednesdays to Sundays, 4:30 – 9 p.m. Other options closer to Lafarge Lake-Douglas SkyTrain station include Caffé Divano (3003 Burlington Dr.) and Papparoti (1196 Pinetree Way), plus plenty of great restaurants along Glen Drive (walk west of Pinetree).
- The lights will be switched on for the first time at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 25 and will remain on until Jan. 21, 2018. They will turn on each night at dusk and power off at 11 p.m., with the exception of Dec. 31, when they will stay on until after midnight so people can ring in the New Year.
The lights display is located just steps from Lafarge Lake-Douglas SkyTrain station. Free parking is available in Lot D off Trevor Wingrove Way. Stay tuned for further information at www.coquitlam.ca/lights.